Just like you are, we’re closely tracking what industries and employers are increasing their hiring.
Some employers are continuing to support ongoing business during the pandemic, while others are re-opening or newly expanding operations as their governments begin to loosen shelter-in-place restrictions.
According to May job posting activity on Recruitology, top sectors include:
- Education – especially teachers, Special Education professionals, and principals. One of the larger advertisers is a technical community college, hiring for academic roles, as well as career coaches, groundskeepers and interpreters.
- IT / Technology – including software developers and engineers, data scientists, database administrators, business analysts, IT specialists. Financial institutions, investment firms and home improvement retailers lead the hiring in these fields, along with universities.
- Construction and skilled trades – especially carpenters, painters, electricians and laborers. A current example in this field is a large civil engineering company hiring for everything from laborers to machinery operators and supervisors.
- Manufacturing and Operations – this group includes production workers, machine operators, stockroom workers. One of the largest advertisers on our platform is a contract pharmaceutical testing company, hiring a range of chemists, microbiologists and manufacturing staff.
- Administrative and Clerical – top hiring areas are administrative assistants, front desk assistants, and purchasing agents. These positions are being hired by city and county governments, colleges and universities, and banks, among others.
- Healthcare – including nursing and care aides. A top example is a growing skilled nursing facility which is adding positions for one-on-one patient care, including rehabilitation, dietary aides, and transportation.
This hiring activity provides hopeful signs for the economy, and a reminder that many sectors will start to add staff — and replace laid off workers — as demand grows.